Sunday, September 9, 2018

Now I Am 50


As I turn 50, it’s hard not to look back and reflect upon the life I have lived. As I try to wrap my head around how time seems to have travelled at warp speed, I wonder:  what have I done?  What have I learned that is worth knowing?  What do I have to pass on to my children?  As I journey through this milestone birthday, here are five things I have learned so far:

1.Take parent/child walks after dinner, one on one.  Be both. You get a renewed love and understanding of your parents when you become one. 

2.  Listen. You will be amazed at what you learn.  So will other people. 

3.  Expect everyone you meet to have something to offer, no matter age, race, gender, status.  Sometimes it’s bad. Sometimes it’s exceptional.  It’s worth the gamble. 

4.  Share your knowledge.  Empowering others is so much better than doing it for them. 

5.  Be kind.  Even when you are not feeling it. Even when other people are being jerks. It can be a challenge, but you never know when the simplest act of kindness can change everything. 

Of course I have gained many more insights.  Like,  it’s ok to fight for what you believe in, just understand there may be many battles and you won’t win them all.  Fortunately for me, my kids and I spend hours together in traffic every week, affording me ample time to espouse my knowledge between 80s tunes on the oldies station. 

I don’t know how many birthdays I will have, but hopefully I will be able to keep finding value in the life I live and pass it on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment