Recently I went to kiss my tween daughter
goodnight. Yes, there are “tweens”
now. I think it is a girl thing and
basically covers ages 10-12, you know, when young ladies first show signs of
their haughtiness before true teenage angst… But I digress…
So I entered my daughter’s dim bedroom, and felt a
sharp pain in my foot. I quickly moved
to the side, tripped over something shin high (humidifier,) and fell into a
pile of things both pointy and soft. I
was still a good foot away from her bed, where she was entranced in videos via
headphones, so I crawled carefully over to her and removed them. “What is up with your room???” I asked emphatically. “I came to kiss you
goodnight and I may need stitches! Do
you even know what all this stuff everywhere is???” She shrugged her shoulders. “Tomorrow we clean everything! I’m serious!
Now turn off those videos before I bleed out!” Then immediately in the sensitive,
protective-mom softer tone, “I love you Baby Girl…” I wasn’t happy, but c’mon, she IS my baby…. I left the room like I was walking through a
minefield.
The next day I came to her door with a couple of
garbage bags and a lot of determination.
The room looked like the massive devastation scene in an earthquake
movie. “Ok,” I told her, “This one is
garbage, this one is donate. Let’s go!”
We had to start somewhere, so I started at the front
door (since I wasn’t risking anymore injuries,) and she started at the bed
(where she had been reclining watching videos.)
I knew within the first 15 minutes that we were both in over our heads. I don’t think I have uttered the phrases,
“What is this?’ and “Do you want this?” more times in my entire middle-aged
life. Seriously. It was like one of those dreams where you are
drowning and you finally reach the shore only to get pulled back in again. Actually, I believe those dreams are called
nightmares and result in cold sweats.
Pile after pile we sorted, tossed, and organized. The entire room: under the bed, behind the bed, under the
dresser, behind the dresser, under the bookshelf, behind the bookshelf, around
every corner, more and more piles were attacked. Some of my highlights include an unopened
letter from school that I was supposed to get 4 months ago marked URGENT, a
Halloween costume from 3 years ago, and 10,000 candy/gum/cashew wrappers from
God knows when. Wow was I being
optimistic with 2 garbage bags!
I finally lost her about two hours in. “I can’t do this anymore!” she wailed. “I believe in you!” I encouraged. “We are
almost done!” She picked up a book from
under a Monster High slipper and started reading it. Panting and sweating, I
carried on alone.
Almost three hours and four garbage bags later I was
done. One bag of donations, and three
for the curb. I felt like I had just run
a marathon, collecting trash all the way.
“Now isn’t this better?” I asked, sweat trickling down my neck. We both surveyed her new clean, organized
boudoir. “Totally!”
So there are two main lessons I came away with from
the hellish room cleaning experience:
1. Check
the room often and take action! Make
room cleaning a huge priority for your offspring before the hurricane hits.
And
2. Don’t cry into the give-away bag.
I know. I
should have learned the first lesson years ago.
Laissez-faire parenting has been out of style since the 80’s. But lesson 2 kind of took me by
surprise. Of course it was obvious that
her princess dress-up clothes and old Halloween costumes were destined for the
donation bag, but when she immediately tossed in her nightlight and princess
figurines, my heart fluttered.
And there’s the rub.
Your child is growing up.
Outgrowing her old clothes and toys, but sometimes, you are not. I mean the nightlight…. THE NIGHTLIGHT? She couldn’t sleep without it from the moment
we put her in her crib until she was… well, I thought yesterday. We brought it on trips by car and plane, and
when it stopped working, the company had replaced it with a new “cooler” light,
so we scoured thrift stores and garage sales to find an exact “old school”
light. That light was the most important
thing to her, thus to us, for such a long time.
For years it was our mission to find another one that worked, and there
she is, just tossing it glibly into the donation bag. A tear mixed into my sweaty face.
And THE PRINCESSES!
Every single Disney princess INCLUDING the uber rare Pocahantas and
Mulan! Received from the Easter Bunny
around age 4. My daughter absolutely
loved them. All of them. She would play with them for hours at a
time. Lining them up in different ways.
Pairing them up with different partners.
Taking them with her everywhere. And if one was missing, my husband would
search through the night and into days to find that little lost princess. There were a few nights when I had to put my
daughter tearfully to sleep with promises that, “Daddy will find Cinderella,
just not tonight.” And bless that man, he always did. I think he used the night vision feature on
his video camera at least once to search for a plastic princess in my
daughter’s dark room as she slept. After
7 years, all princesses are present and accounted for, and currently in the discard
pile. Another tear slides down my face.
My sister always tells me that when I clear out my
stuff, take it out of the house immediately.
Don’t look in the bag. Own your
decision and move on. Maybe I shouldn’t
have looked in the bag, but I wasn’t sure if she might actually need something
and was even paying attention. How many
folders were rescued that she or her brother can use next year? I know I am a sap and I need to toughen
up. We all know it’s coming, but it
still seems sudden. Our children are
really growing up. Not babies, not
toddlers, not even elementary school kids.
My swaddle baby is a tween. She
has a lava lamp and doesn’t play with princesses anymore.
So now, when I kiss her goodnight, a can walk
peacefully from the door to her bed without incident. She is MY baby, but she is a young lady. I confiscate her cell phone, tuck the covers
around her and tell her how much I love her, while a complete set of Disney
princesses slumbers in my dresser drawer.
Ah ... happy memories ... of Lee and Kelly's 'pits' when they were young! xx
ReplyDelete